The guaranteed, fastest way to get your International Driving Permit in the United Kingdom
Access to digital documents available within 15 minutes.
Access to digital documents available within 15 minutes.
You will receive a Printed and Digital International Driver’s License booklet and card. The Digital IDL is sent in 2 hours and your physical IDL will be mailed.
An International Driver's License will help you rent and drive vehicles worldwide.
An International Driving Permit will help you rent and drive vehicles worldwide.
An International Driving Permit is a booklet that translates your domestic driver’s license into many languages — making it easier for you to rent and drive vehicles around the world.
If you are driving a car while in the United Kingdom or in any of the following approved Countries — You can use your International Driving Permit to translate your domestic driver’s license to rental agencies and local authorities.
We Abide By The International Driver’s License Booklet Specifications Detailed In The UN Convention of 1949.
How to get your IDL
How to get your IDL
Fill in our application
Choose the IDL Bundle that suits your travel needs.
Upload your headshot
upload a clear, passport-type photo.
Get approved in minutes!
Login to your customer portal and download your documents.
United States International Driver's License Information
General International Driver's License Information and Frequently Asked Questions
What is an IDL/IDP?
An IDP (International Driving Permit) or IDL (International Driving License) are identical phrases for the documents that translates your driver’s license into twelve languages, which is a legal requirement for driving in numerous foreign countries.
They are often also referred to as an International Driver’s Permit or International Driver’s License.
Is a International Driving Permit needed in the United Kingdom?
Visitors planning a stay in the United Kingdom must possess an International Driving Permit in addition to a valid license from their home country. The International Driving License provides the translation of your native license into English allowing you to drive and rent vehicles.
Is United Kingdom citizenship required to apply?
Any one possessing a valid driver’s license is eligible to apply for an International Drivers Permit. The application process involves providing a headshot (refer to instructions for submitting the headshot for your IDP/IDL) and uploading your current driver’s license. It’s worth noting that applicants do not have to be citizens of the United Kingdom to apply for an International Driving Permit.
Is my International Driving Permit valid in the United Kingdom?
Temporary visitors to the United Kingdom can use an International Driver’s Permit (IDP), which serves as a translation of their native driver’s license. The IDP is recognized within the UK. To view the complete list of countries where your International Driver’s License is accepted, please refer to (International Driving Permit list of countries)
What are the requirements for driving in the United Kingdom?
In order to drive legally in the United Kingdom – the following is required:
1. Driving License: A valid and up-to-date driver’s license from your country of origin is essential. Additionally, an International Driver’s License (IDL) is necessary for translation purposes. A visitor may use their International Driving Permit for up to 12 months. Any longer and they will need to apply for a local license.
2. Age Minimums: The legal driving age in the UK is 17 for cars and motorcycles, and 16 for mopeds and light quad bikes. The legal age to rent a vehicle varies by company and ranges from 21 to 25.
3. Insurance: You must have valid insurance to drive in the UK. If you’re a resident, you need to have at least third-party insurance. If you’re a visitor, check if your existing insurance covers you in the UK or if you need to purchase additional insurance.
4. Traffic Laws – Important traffic laws and regulations are listed below.
How can I obtain an International Driving Permit?
Visit the Online International Driver’s License Application to order your IDL now. The entire process takes less than 5 minutes and can be done completely online.
How much is an International Driving Permit?
The amount you’ll pay for your International Driving License is determined by the following:
1. Validity/Duration: 1 – 3 Years (Starting at £30).
2. Shipping Options: Standard post is free. Expediated options cost more.
3. Urgent Processing: Standard processing is free (2 hours). Expediated Processing is £15 (15 minutes)
What's in my International Driving Permit?
Your International Driver’s Permit includes the following:
1. Personal Information: Name, Headshot, Home Country, Date and Place of Birth.
2. Permit Translations: 12 Languages.
3. Category Endorsements: A-E Stamps that correspond to the vehicles you are permitted to drive.
4. List of Countries: Countries that honor your IDP
5. Special Conditions: Exlcusions and Restrictions
Sample permit can be found here: What is an International Driving License.
International Driving Permit Categories
Every International Driver’s License adheres to the A-E category structure, which dictates which vehicles you may operate.
A – Motorcycles: All engine size including mopeds and sidecars.
B – Cars: Maximum eight seat passanger vehicles.
C – Large Vehicles: Trucks and similar heavy-duty vehicles.
D – Buses: Vehicles with capacity of over eight seats.
E – Trailers: Used in addition to any of the categories above.
Does the digital International Driving Permit provide the same driving authorization as the orginal copy?
Each order of an International Driving Permit comes with a digital copy that can be accessed online or saved on your phone. When feasible, it’s advisable to carry the physical version of your International Driver’s License. If needed – your digital copy can be presented to local authorities and car rental agencies. The digital copy is frequently used by those traveling to their next destination who need immediate access to their International Driver’s License.
If you have a valid E-ITA IDP and have lost your physical copy – contact our support team. Free replacements can be shipped word-wide with next-day shipping.
If you require an International Driving Permit to complete a car rental agreement – apply online and use urgent processing to have access to your digital IDP.
How long does it take to process an International Driving Permit Application?
The online International Driving Permit Application can be completed in less than 5 minutes. Standard processing time is two hours with expediated processing (15 minutes) available. Access to your International Driver’s License is provided after processing. Your International Permit will be shipped the next day.
Do I need an International Driving Permit to purchase a vehicle?
Purchasing a vehicle does not necessitate an International Driving License. The primary requirement for purchasing a vehicle is a valid form of identification. Your IDP – while allowing you to drive legally while abroad – is not considered a stand-alone document, but is supplemental to another form of identification.
How do I apply for an International Driving Permit with an expired license?
An International Drivers Permit serves as a translation of your existing driver’s license. Although you can apply for one with an expired license, it’s advisable to renew your license promptly.
Can my International Driving Permit be converted into a local license?
An International Driving Permit is suitable for temporary visitors during a specific timeframe (usually less than 12 months). If your stay is extended, you may be required to obtain a local license. Reference the DVLA website for more information. Your International Driving License will not be converted and you will be asked to fulfill the testing requirements.
United Kingdom traffic laws
- People drive on the right side of the road (British Indian Ocean Territory and Gibraltar) the rest are left side of the road.
- United Kingdom does have a national seat belt law. We recommend always wearing a seat belt if it is available.
- United Kingdom does have a national law prohibiting mobile phone use while driving. Using a hands-free device is permitted.
- United Kingdom does have a national law requiring the use of helmets when on motorcycle or scooter. This applies to both driver’s and passengers. There is no age restriction for child passengers as long as they are wearing a helmet.
- Legal Blood Alcohol Content Level: 0.08%. Do not drink and drive.
- The maximum driving speed is 48 km/h (30 miles/hour) in urban areas and 96 km/h (60 miles/hour) in rural areas.
Source: World Health Organization
Trust by thousands of drivers since 2018