Fastest Way To Get Your
International Driver's License in the United Kingdom
Why Should I Carry An International Driver's License?
An International Driver’s License Is A Booklet That Translates Your Domestic Driver’s License Into Many Languages— Making It Easier For You to Rent and Drive Vehicles Around the World.
If You Are Driving or Hiring A Car While In the United Kingdom or in any of the following approved Countries – You Can Use An International Driver’s License to Translate Your Domestic Driver’s License To Rental Agencies and Local Authorities.
We Abide By The International Driver’s License Booklet Specifications Detailed In The UN Convention of 1949.
Driving in United Kingdom & Abroad
Laws can vary between countries but one thing that remains consistent, is that an International Driver’s License from ITA can help you rent and drive vehicles abroad, no matter the country.
Some rental agencies will request to see an International Driver’s License before they rent you a vehicle. Many customers find themselves in a situation where they have traveled to their destination country, unaware that they should have purchased an International Driver’s License in their home country.
This is where ITA can help you. We’re available 24 Hours a day– 7 days a week. We guarantee you’ll receive your International Driver’s License in under 2 hours and we offer Urgent 15 minute Processing for our customers who are really in a rush.
An International Driver’s License is also commonly known as an International Driving Permit.
Driving in the United Kingdom
For our customers coming from abroad and traveling in the United Kingdom – You may have realized last minute that you need to show an International Driver’s License to rent a vehicle. Use ITA to apply for and receive your International Driver’s License today.
Some helpful information about driving in the United Kingdom
- People drive on the right side of the road (British Indian Ocean Territory and Gibraltar) the rest are left side of the road.
- The minimum age to drive is 17 years old (cars), 16 years old (mopeds and tractors)(card of disabled and in receipt of PIP, Light Quadricycle). The minimum age to rent a car is 23 years old.
- United Kingdom does have a national seat belt law. We recommend always wearing a seat belt if it is available.
- United Kingdom does have a national law prohibiting mobile phone use while driving. Using a hands-free device is permitted.
- United Kingdom does have a national law requiring the use of helmets when on motorcycle or scooter. This applies to both driver’s and passengers. There is no age restriction for child passengers as long as they are wearing a helmet.
- Legal Blood Alcohol Content Level: 0.08%. Do not drink and drive.
- The maximum driving speed is 48 km/h (30 miles/hour) in urban areas and 96 km/h (60 miles/hour) in rural areas.
Source: World Health Organization
How to get your IDL
We’ve streamlined the application process creating an easy-to-use platform that will successfully guide you to complete your application in just a few minutes.
1. Apply Online
Start your application for International Driver's License Get the IDL.
2. Upload Photos
Make sure to upload an updated photo and with the correct parameters.
3. Get Approved
Wait for your confirmation and you are ready to go!